Gear List: Backpacking
A goal of backpacking is to travel great distances, often which means to sleep in the back country. There are various levels of backpacking to suit a persons comfort zone or distance goal: comfort, light-weight, and ultra-light.
- A pack to carry everything. We recommend a size between 20L(ultra-light) to 75L(comfort). This size range allows for easier customization of what one is bringing along, and back support.
- A stove is needed to cook foods in the woods. There are special stoves for cooking meals in the back country: alcohol, propane, wood, solar, chemical. Pick a stove to suit your purpose, and meal plans. Wood stoves are great in the woods, but need extra precautions against both dry environments and wet. Gas stoves are the easiest to power and maintain. Alcohol is usually the lightest and can be used in different parts of the world. Solar-powered stoves are limited to favorable weather conditions. Chemical stoves are the easy to manipulate, but are heavy to backpack out.
- Tents: tarp(ultra-light), hammock, three-season, and four-season options. Within the three-season and four-season there are free-standing and non on the market.
- Sleeping pads: foam, inflating, and self-inflating.
- Sleeping bags: there are pay close attention to EN numbers. There are comfort ranges, and lower limits to each bag.
- First Aid Kit within a water proof bag like a ZipLoc, and insect repellent are highly recommended in all areas in Southern California.
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen for protection against the over-exposure.
- Snacks that are high in carbs, protein-rich meals slow the energy output.
- A flashlight, or headlamp for illumination during night hikes.
- An emergency shelter for worst case scenarios.
- Bring breathable clothes, we recommend against denim or cotton fabrics, that cover the arms and legs.
- Hydration and water filter. CamelBak has a handy calculator to use to aid with determining how much water to take. https://www.camelbak.com/en/hydrated/hydration-calculator
- Ultralight, yet spacious camping for one person
- Three-season versatility with double wall structure
- DAC Featherlite NFL pole maximizes strength-to-weight
- Hubbed pole intersection is sturdy and free-standing
- Nylon fabric shaves weight without sacrificing strength
- PU/silicone floor and fly coatings for water-resistance
- Mesh canopy for ventilation without letting bugs inside
- NEMO proudly designs innovative camp gear from its New Hampshire headquarters
- Item #NEM005Q
Complete Cooking Set For Two.
When you finally get tired of eating nothing but granola bars and trail mix, the MSR PocketRocket Stove Kit will be there waiting to help elevate your backcountry eating experience. MSR started this kit with the lightweight, simple, and rugged PocketRocket stove, and it added an anodized aluminum pot with a straining lid, two DeepDish bowls, two folding sporks, and two double-wall insulated mugs so you can do everything from make coffee to cook pasta when you're miles from civilization. The whole kit weighs less than two pounds, and every item nests inside the pot for easy and efficient storage during backpacking adventures.
- Starter kit for cooking in the backcountry
- PocketRocket stove is light, simple, and durable
- WindClip maintains efficiency in windy conditions
- Includes pot, 2 bowls, 2 insulated mugs, and 2 sporks
- Entire kit nests inside 2-liter pot
- Color coded to know whose is whose
- Item #CAS00BK
More warmth per gram than any other air mattress in the world with the XTherm™ MAX providing even greater coverage.
The XTherm™ air mattress delivers the greatest warmth-to-weight ratio available in any air mattress by far, with a softer, textured no-slip fabric for better next-to-skin comfort and a quieter rest. Multiple, reflective ThermaCapture™ layers give the XTherm™ air mattress true four-season warmth without the weight or bulk usually found in a winter-worthy mattress. And now, the XTherm™ MAX delivers all the great features and benefits of the original XTherm in a full rectangular shape, providing added coverage and warmth for extreme temps and wider torsos. Stuff sack and repair kit included.