Gear List: Winter Hikes
Winter hikes are dangerous, so we recommend having the proper equipment to make the journey safer.
- A pack to carry everything. We recommend a size between 20L(ultra-light) to 75L(comfort). This size range allows for easier customization of what one is bringing along, and back support.
- A stove is needed to cook foods in the woods. There are special stoves for cooking meals in the back country: alcohol, propane, wood, solar, chemical. Pick a stove to suit your purpose, and meal plans. Wood stoves are great in the woods, but need extra precautions against both dry environments and wet. Gas stoves are the easiest to power and maintain. Alcohol is usually the lightest and can be used in different parts of the world. Solar-powered stoves are limited to favorable weather conditions. Chemical stoves are the easy to manipulate, but are heavy to backpack out.
- Tents: tarp(ultra-light), hammock, three-season, and four-season options. Within the three-season and four-season there are free-standing and non on the market.
- Sleeping pads: foam have better insulation against snow, inflating, and self-inflating are more likely to puncture.
- Sleeping bags: there are pay close attention to EN numbers. There are comfort ranges, and lower limits to each bag.
- First Aid Kit within a water proof bag like a ZipLoc, and insect repellent are highly recommended in all areas in Southern California.
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen for protection against the over-exposure.
- Snacks that are high in carbs, protein-rich meals slow the energy output.
- A flashlight, or headlamp for illumination during night hikes.
- An emergency shelter for worst case scenarios.
- Bring breathable clothes, we recommend against denim or cotton fabrics, that cover the arms and legs.
- Ice protection: ice axe, crampons, gaiters, water-proof insulated shoes, balaclava, helmet.
- Hydration and water filter. CamelBak has a handy calculator to use to aid with determining how much water to take. https://www.camelbak.com/en/hydrated/hydration-calculator
Travel where the north star shines the brightest.
Exped designed the Polaris Tent to thrive under the most demanding conditions on alpine expeditions. This freestanding single-wall tent features a waterproof, breathable VentAir laminate with fully taped seams for reliable protection against weather. Exped's specialized flat pole sleeves provide a quick setup as well as low resistance to wind, snow, and rain.
The Polaris also features a single door with two access points outside the generous vestibule. Exped's Grab Hook leaves each access point open for airflow, and the triangular guy-out geometry uses a single anchor point for a stable design. The Cord Stuffsack doubles as a warning marker to prevent tripping over the wires, and there are accessory organizers with slots for all the small things.
- Freestanding single-wall tent
- VentAir three-layer laminated rain fly
- PU coated taffeta floor
- Factory seam taped
- DAC Featherlite NSL poles with webbing pockets
- Flat pole sleeves
- Roll-up door with Grab Hook
- Generous vestibule
- Triangular guy-out geometry with single anchor point
- Cord Stuffsack, accessory organizers
- Item #XPD001U
Complete Cooking Set For Two.
When you finally get tired of eating nothing but granola bars and trail mix, the MSR PocketRocket Stove Kit will be there waiting to help elevate your backcountry eating experience. MSR started this kit with the lightweight, simple, and rugged PocketRocket stove, and it added an anodized aluminum pot with a straining lid, two DeepDish bowls, two folding sporks, and two double-wall insulated mugs so you can do everything from make coffee to cook pasta when you're miles from civilization. The whole kit weighs less than two pounds, and every item nests inside the pot for easy and efficient storage during backpacking adventures.
- Starter kit for cooking in the backcountry
- PocketRocket stove is light, simple, and durable
- WindClip maintains efficiency in windy conditions
- Includes pot, 2 bowls, 2 insulated mugs, and 2 sporks
- Entire kit nests inside 2-liter pot
- Color coded to know whose is whose
- Item #CAS00BK
More warmth per gram than any other air mattress in the world with the XTherm™ MAX providing even greater coverage.
The XTherm™ air mattress delivers the greatest warmth-to-weight ratio available in any air mattress by far, with a softer, textured no-slip fabric for better next-to-skin comfort and a quieter rest. Multiple, reflective ThermaCapture™ layers give the XTherm™ air mattress true four-season warmth without the weight or bulk usually found in a winter-worthy mattress. And now, the XTherm™ MAX delivers all the great features and benefits of the original XTherm in a full rectangular shape, providing added coverage and warmth for extreme temps and wider torsos. Stuff sack and repair kit included.